Friday, October 07, 2011

Evolution of the Dream

If you're an aviator, you'll know that aviation is like a virus. To simplify things, we'll call it avitus. I suspect that my body was first introduced to the virus during the first few years of my life while visiting my grandparents. My grandfather was a pilot, a flight engineer towards the end of WWII, and a mechanic at Pan Am. Many years after my first introduction to avitus, I was exposed to it in a more potent dose! My friend's dad began building a kitplane (Velocity XL) and his glowing enthusiasm for the project sparked my curiosity.

I was thirteen when I started this blog. At that point, the dream was for me to have my own plane and have the capability to fly whenever I felt like it. This is why I originally named this blog "Flying Dreams." The name was rather vague and at the time, the dream itself was rather vague. After I discovered the Pterodactyl and bought a Pterodactyl project, I renamed it to pFlying Dreams. My Pterodactyl is getting closer and closer to completion and with my original dream almost accomplished, I now realize that this dream is in a constant state of evolution and that the blog's original title probably best suits the blog as there is no limit as to what I can do in aviation.

I'm currently working on getting my A&P certificate (think of it as a license to work on aircraft) through a college program. Next, I know that I'll need a Private Pilot License, followed by an instrument rating, followed by a commercial rating, followed by my first flying job (maybe banner towing?). Of course, I'll also need to get four year degree if I want to go anywhere in this industry. From here, I'm not sure where I'd like to take my life. I'm not the least bit worried about this either. Who really knows exactly what they want to be doing decades later in life, when they just turned 20? One thing is absolutely certain; I will never forget to follow my dreams!

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." - T.S. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

No comments: